Full-rigged ship WAVERTREE, ex-Don Ariano N, ex-Southgate (1885)
This Cape Horn sailing ship fell on hard times in South Street Seaport Museum following her arrival there in 1970, after being discovered as a sand barge in Buenos Aires by National Maritime Historical Society founder Karl Kortum.
In 1980 a museum plan was published which did not include the ship. Museum President John Hightower welcomed help from National Maritime Historical Society to save the ship, and in a four-year campaign (1980-84) which attracted strong publicity and volunteer support. NMHS raised nearly $1 million, redecking the ship, cleaning and painting her and effectively converting her from sand barge to sailing ship. From that point on, museum supporters picked up the burden and completed the ship’s original rig.